Thursday, October 8, 2009

The only thing I know is that I know nothing... about the web



The internet provides a wide range of possibilities. One day you have the feeling you know many things about the web, and the day after you realize that it was just a tiny part of what's given to you. Three things that I recently learnt on the internet?
  • I didn't know... how to use Twitter
Last summer, Twitter was getting more and more popular in France. At work, people couldn't stop "twitting". That's why I took the decision to sign up to and to learn how to tame the wild Twitter.
First I had a few problems to understand what Twitter was made for. "Micro-blogging"... 120 characters : too much or not enough ? I finally got more comfortable with Twitter, I started following people,... I read articles about the "Twitter irony", and also about those books that people transcribed on Twitter, even about the new trend that consists in telling your couple life through your tweets.
  • I still don't know... how to keep my distance from Facebook.
No secret between us : I am a Facebook addict. I mean, a real Facebook addict. And the situation got worse when i bought an iPhone. Social networking is essential to me for several reasons : first it helps me keeping in touch with old friends who live far away from me; secondly i have to admit that it's a useful tool to work with people, to prepare homework (written and oral presentations); and finally, i use it to promote my music. Consequently, I always have to check something on Facebook. My next good resolution ? Trying to keep my distance from Facebook.
  • E-learning
The internet boosts my thirst for knowledge. The idea that I can know everything sounds so exciting to me. The symbol of that illimited access to knowledge may be e-learning : on the web, you can always learn, and you even have to learn. I am experiencing e-learning this year at school : I have English class on MSN ! That's a good way to practice the language (writing articles for a blog, making videos, talking to our teacher Bob) and to become more familiar with new technologies and the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment